In chapter 10 verses 1-16, Jeremiah contrasts Israel’s God with idols using four sets of statements about idols and corresponding praise of God.
In verses 2-7,
- Idols are powerless and not to be feared, whereas
- Yahweh is great in power and worthy to be feared by all.
In verses 8-10,
- Idols are worthless and dependent on men, whereas
- Yahweh is the true and living God Whose wrath shakes the earth.
In verses 11-13,
- Idols did not create and will perish with the earth, whereas
- Yahweh created the universe and controls it with His hands.
In verses 14-16,
- Idols are lifeless and will come to destruction, whereas
- Yahweh is Israel’s portion and eternal inheritance; “Yahweh of Hosts is His name.”